27 July 2009

Dublin Day 2: Trinity College, Guinness Storehouse, & Dublin Castle

(8am Dublin time)

Yesterday we did a lot of tourist stuff. We bought one of those tour bus passes where you hop on or off at your convenience.We visited Christ Church Cathedral, Trinity College Dublin, St. Patrick's Cathedral, and the Guinness Storehouse.
Trinity College Dublin


We went to the huge library at Trinity College (which is the biggest library I've ever seen with nothing but old books) and saw the Book of Kells exhibit. The library had a handwritten copy of Beethoven's symphony no. 3 and the Rosetta Stone*, which was awesome.

* I later found out that this is a casting of the Rosetta Stone, as the real Rosetta Stone resides in London. I feel duped!


I saw so many awesome things today... I took so many pictures (mostly in St. Patrick's Cathedral) that my camera battery died... And I charged it last night.

St. Patrick's Cathedral


We took a tour of the Guinness Storehouse, where Guinness is made. Fun fact: the first shipment of Guinness to the USA landed in South Carolina... Which means Charleston! I'm learning local history in another country. The best part of the tour is the end, where you end up in the top of the Guinness glass (the building) for spectacular 360-degree views of Dublin. There are even quotes about Dublin written by famous authors printed on the glass near the monument/area the quotes mention. I picked up a pair of Guinness glasses in the shop, as they're celebrating their 250th anniversary and had special glasses made for the occasion.


Dublin Castle

No comments:

Post a Comment