30 July 2009

Ireland Day 5: Castles and Ring of Kerry

Blarney Castle





Well, I kissed the stone above the Blarney Stone anyways. We hiked up the narrow, winding staircase and it was scary. By the time I was lowered to kiss the stone I felt like I was as near to death as I wanted to be that day. You have to be held over an open space and bend over backwards to kiss it and I couldn't get down low enough. It was too scary to go farther.







Lakes of Killarney







Then we went down the winding roads of the Ring of Kerry, which includes the Lakes of Killarney and an old fort from around 400 AD. The old lane leading to the fort was only big enough for one tiny European car, but it was a 2-way street. That definitely made the journey more interesting!






Staigue Fort

Ballyseede Castle Hotel



Then we drove into Tralee, which is the town closest to the Ballyseede Castle Hotel. The castle is on 30 acres of land and is very beautiful. They have a big Irish wolfhound that's like the hotel mascot, and it's the biggest dog I've ever seen. Every time I saw it, he was lying down. I guess I would be lazy too if I had to haul all that bulk around!








Now we're on the road again to the Cliffs of Moher in Shannon. After that we go to the farmhouse B&B in a town called Newmarket-on-Fergus.

(11:15am Ireland time)

No comments:

Post a Comment